In honor of Latino Conservation Week. Our Juntos families (see program information below) will be taking a hike at Almaden Quicksilver County Park to learn about the Park's rich mining history and the key role that Latino miners played in the success of California Gold Rush. Families will also learn about the importance of conservation. Our event includes a hike, picnic, Plant-a-Seed activity and a short presentation from a local non-profit called "Our City Forest" who's mission is to cultivate a green and healthy Silicon Valley by engaging community members in the appreciation, protection, growth and maintenance of the urban ecosystem, especially the urban forest.
Overview of Santa Clara County Juntos Initiative
The partnership between healthcare providers and park and environmental organizations is focused on working together and making the outdoors more inclusive and accessible. Through this partnership, which includes the City of San Jose, Veggielution, Santa Clara County Parks, Santa Clara County Public Health teams; and the dedicated providers at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center this initiative seeks to promote the health benefits of the outdoors.
The Juntos Initiative is comprised of the following three components:
1) Quarterly Park Activities (quarterly activities range from nature hikes to gardening)
2) Capitanes del Bosque (youth volunteer program)
3) Promotores (parent leadership program)
Participating Providers and Participants
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center pediatricians prescribe parks to pediatric patients and their families. Santa Clara County Public Health provides program coordination. Some key data points:
- Most participants are medi-cal recipients and greatly benefit from the physical activity and community connections made at park activities.
- Many participants are bilingual Spanish and programming is provided in Spanish/or interpretation is provided
- Over 1500 participants will be served by this program over a 3-year period.
- Most participants attend multiple walks each quarter
Each quarter 6 to 8 activities are coordinated at parks and outdoor venues for children and their families. Pediatricians attend park activities with their patients which has had a huge impact on patient health. Currently, we work closely with a Champion Provider, Dr. Laurie Cammon at the Pediatric Healthy Lifestyle Center, and her team with plans to invite other pediatric providers to write park prescriptions soon.
Santa Clara County Public Health, Santa Clara County Parks, Veggielution and City of San Jose are Juntos Initiative partners.
Date & time:
July 23, 2022
Almaden Quicksilver: Mockingbird Hill Picnic Area