Dallas College’s Latino student population is growing quickly, and many of these students are passionate about efforts that protect our air, water and land. Through Dallas College student clubs and sustainability offices, many Latinos have collaborated in community conservation projects.
The forum “Are We Green Enough” will be a conversation with students, alumni, and community and business leaders about sustainability projects that can conserve the environment and improve the community’s quality of life. The panel will explore how much Dallas College has achieved through its sustainability efforts, and what more can be done.
Forum moderator: Diana Flores, Chair, Dallas College Board of Trustees
• Dr. Maria V. Boccalandro: Director of Sustainability & Programs for Dallas College Cedar Valley Campus
• Miriam Gallegos: President of Cedar Valley Campus Green Club. Miriam is the winner of the 2020 Cedar Valley Campus Sustainability Leadership Award. She graduated in June 2020 with an associate of science degree from Cedar Valley.
• Oriana Silva: Sustainability Intern for Brookhaven Campus. She is pursuing an associate of arts degree focusing on French, Spanish and chemistry. She is the Sustainable Development Goals Action Manager for Dallas College and produces educational videos for the Dallas Arboretum.
• Ramon Cruz: Sierra Club’s new president, becoming the first Latino to hold that position in the organization’s 128-year history. The Sierra Club’s National Board of Directors is democratically elected by the organization’s membership and serves its 3.8 million members and supporters. Cruz holds degrees from American University in Washington, D.C., and Princeton University in New Jersey. He has over 20 years of experience in advocacy at the intersection of sustainability, environmental and energy policy, urban planning, and climate change.
• John Martinez: President and CEO of the Regional Hispanic Contractors Association located in the heart of the southern sector in Oak Cliff. Elected Chairman of the Board of the National Hispanic Construction Association. He leads the Contractor Business Center that focuses on procurement, construction safety, and “green and LEED” building.
WebEx Link here.
Dallas College, Texas
Date & time:
July 23, 2020